Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Families are Forever



Craig's thoughts regarding the passing of his adoptive grandpa Robert

So I received a phone call Saturday night. I was hurt and wasn't sure what to say or how to act. I can't really remember pres. Jepson telling me anything but that grandpa (Robert) passed. I was shocked like everyone else and I almost cried as I was talking to pres. he asked if I was going to be ok and I said I would be. After we hung up I sat on my bed with my head in my pillow crying and pondering what was just told to me. Right now I am struggling to write you.... after a little while I gathered myself and wrote in my journal as my companions went to bed early. As I wrote I listened to comforting hymns/music and continued to ponder his life.

President Jepson asked me to read and ponder Moroni chapter 10 verses 7 and 32. If you'd like to do the same, the invitation is there. It brought comfort yet I was still teary eyed. I just wasn't sure what to think or do. And of course I pondered on how you all are doing and how you would've been reacting etc. I know/knew it was going to be and is hard to bear. For me right now it feels like a dream but that is because I am not there with you right now. If I was, I’m sure it wouldn't be a dream like feeling rather sadness and sorrow with everyone else. I know though that the Comforter (Holy Ghost) is with me (as you said he was/is with you and everyone else) and I’m able to keep calm.

Thank you for the details of all that occurred. I’m not sure if it is ironic or a coincidence that all of this happened this weekend because I was asked to speak in sacrament meeting yesterday on elder legrands article from gen conf. about redemption. I was 1 of 3 speakers and as I listened to the other 2 talks they were all about the Atonement of Jesus Christ and His mission in coming to earth, suffering for us, hanging on the cross then being resurrected the 3rd day. It was interesting to me that the Atonement has 3 parts (I looked over it I think Saturday morning in PMG, lesson 2, plan of salvation). the 1st is Christ's suffering in the garden of gethsemane - there he learned what all of us are feeling right now and because of that He is able to "succor" (alma 7:11-12) us and help us "endure well" the new trials and hardships we all now have.

Those are here for us so we can strengthen our testimonies, learn of their love for us more deeply, and recognize that they do exist, that, as you said, families are forever. we are to become strengthened as a family unit as Satan attacks more forcefully and strategically the families of today so when he attacks at unexpected moments the family is prepared, strengthen and ready to fight him off, whether it be physically, mentally, spiritually we will fight him off with the help of our family. The 2nd is Christ's suffering and death on the cross - we all know that while He was hung He prayed and asked forgiveness for what the soldiers were doing because "they know not what they do." He then "gave up the ghost" and passed away unto Father in heaven where we all want to be and know that Robert is there right now continuing to serve faithfully as he continues his service to God.

I know he is also comforting you and the family as you endure this hardship. the 3rd part is the resurrection - after Christ was placed in the sepulcher and the stone rolled into place to cover the hole, His spirit and immortal body were reunited in 1 and appeared to many so they knew His mission was fulfilled and so they knew they would be able to have the same privilege if they keep His commandments. this is the time for us pray and ask for that strengthened testimony that families are and can be together forever, that the resurrection is real and that Christ is there comforting us through angels and Robert and the holy ghost. "Rejoice and be of good cheer" because Christ has suffered all things and as you go to Him in sincere prayer you will be blessed in some way.

I know I was blessed with comfort Saturday night. I know my testimony has been strengthened of the love of God and Christ and of the Atonement. I know they live! And I know Robert is still living. He is watching over you wishing to be there with you yet his duty to God has need of him elsewhere. His preparations here on earth have been affected greatly by you and your love support to him in all he did. He was great and always will be great in the hearts and minds of all who know him, especially those who know him best, his wife and children. Use this time to strengthen your testimony, strengthen each other, and grow in love and unity. Stand together as you are and do not let anything that comes get in your way.

I love you all and know you will be ok. I know you all have the strength and determination to endure to the end and stay faithful to the gospel of Jesus Christ. You are the best family I could ask for! If I had gone any other way, I wouldn't be happy nor would I being doing well. You are my support and when times like this come, I feel it too. You are never alone. I love you all!!! Thank you for everything you have done, still do, and will do for me. Without you I’d be nowhere. Stay strong! May the spirit be with you always, especially this week to guide and comfort you in all the goes on!

Love Craig

No comments:

Post a Comment